Soil Sampling Tools Definitions
ESS Core N’ One™ Handle and Capsule
The easiest way to sample and transport 5 grams of undisturbed soil for US EPA Method 5035.
- CNO is both a soil collection and transport container. Screw threaded septa closure insures air tight seal. CNO Capsule incorporates and extruding feature; No need for expensive tools.
- CNO Handle is strong, economical and easy to use.
Each Capsule comes in a heavy gauge zip lock bag with attached ESS Sample label.
Core N’ One Instructions
- Remove capsule from zip lock and insert prongs into the slots of the CNO handle. Make a 1/4 turn to the right to lock the capsule in place. Unscrew the capsule cap and bore the beveled edge opening into the soil. You can determine if you have taken a full (+/- 5 gram) sample by holding the capsule up to the light. The dark shading of the soil should be at the top level of the cap threads. Wipe any soil from the cap threads and screw the cap tight. The edge of the cap should touch the center rib of the capsule. Insert the capsule into the zip lock for transport to the lab.
- To extrude the soil, remove the sample side screw threaded closure (with the Teflon/silicone septum inserted). Then remove the back side screw threaded portion. Reverse this piece so the built-in cup portion can be put over the plunger. Push down on the plunger to extrude the soil sample.
ESS Lock N’ Load Handles and Syringes
The easiest way to collect undisturbed, measured soil cores for field preservation techniques for EPA Method 5035.
- Handle locks at 5 and 10 gram settings with one easy turn.
- Beveled edge syringe is stronger then cut syringes and fits in the neck of 40 mL glass vials.
- Turn handle and push to dispense soil into the vial. Soil dispensing is done without having to remove the syringe.
- Strong, Accurate, Easy and Economical
Lock N’ Load Handle and Syringes can also be used in the lab. Great for subsampling from brass sleeves or soil jars to 40mL vials for auto-sampler extraction.
ESS Lock N’ Load™ Handle & Syringe
Instructions for Use/S.O.P.
For taking field soil samples or sub-sampling in the lab:
- Insert Lock N’ Load™ Syringe into Lock N’ Load™ Handle at base opening. Turn the locking portion of the syringe into the O gram setting. Remove end cap from the Lock N’ Load™ Syringe. Position the Lock N’ Load™ Handle to the desired soil sample volume (5 grams or 10 grams)*. To do this, slide the slot portion of the handle down the fitted track, then turn the handle 1/4 turn right at the desired setting. Push the syringe into the soil until the plunger portion of the syringe makes contact with the base of the Lock N’ Load™ Handle. Transfer the soil from the syringe into a 40 ml vial** by turning the Lock N’ Load™ Handle 1/4 turn left (back to the fitted track) and pushing down.
- Cap the vial and store the sample at 4° C until time of analysis.
*USEPA Method 5035 recommends 5 grams of soil for low level analysis (with 5 mL of sodium solution) and 10 grams of soil for medium to high level analysis (with 10 mL of methanol). Sample amounts and preservative types may vary between regulatory agencies.
**Please note the beveled edge of the Lock N’ Load™ Syringe is designed to fit perfectly into ESS’ 40 mL vials.
™ is a trademark of En Novative Technologies Inc.